How to Write a Personal Reflection
Table of Contents
- What is a Personal Reflection?
- How Do I Start Reflective Assignment?
- How Do I Structure a Reflective Assignment?
- How Do I Format a Reflective Assignment?
- Reflection Writing Topics
- Reflection Writing Tips!
Many assignments require a student to write about the views and feelings of others, so it can be strange and feel unfamiliar when you are asked to write a personal reflection for an assignment. If you are unsure how to write a personal reflection on an assignment, read on for advice, guidance, and useful tips!
What is a Personal Reflection?
A Personal reflection is an emotional reaction to a specific stimulus which is often written to examine personal feelings, experiences, and events. Personal reflection allows you to examine experiences, thoughts, and feelings from your point of view so there is no wrong answer. Personal reflections may be written in formal academic writing e.g., for school or college, or written informally e.g., blog posts and are normally quite short (between 250 and 750 words long)
How Do I Start Reflective Assignment?
Firstly, highlight key ideas and concepts about the person, experience, event, text, song, movie, piece of music or any other topic you are going to reflect on.
Secondly, quiz time! Ask yourself the following questions about the topic to write reflection on assignment:
✅ Impact: What impact did/does it have on you? e.g., I realized how difficult it can be for homeless people to find employment.
✅ Feelings: How did/does it make you feel e.g., I felt astounded by the sheer lack of regard for human life.
✅ Senses: What did you see/hear/feel/touch/taste? e.g., The smell of burning rubber hit me and I felt the heat of the blaze on my face.
✅ Change: Has it changed you? If yes, how? e.g., I now look at cancer sufferers in a different light and I approach their care in a more upbeat and positive manner.
Thirdly, identify a minimum of three key parts you want to make about your topic. For instance, if the topic is about an event, you may choose to write 3 paragraphs: before, during, and after the event.
How Do I Structure a Reflective Assignment?
Reflection for an assignment normally requires the same basic essay structure as follows:
How Do I Format a Reflective Assignment?
If your reflective assignment is for school or college, the following formatting requirements normally apply:
- Standard A4 paper size
- 1-inch margins on both sides
- Easily readable fonts (Arial, Times New Roman, Calibri) in 12-point size.
- Double line spacing
- Any citations you include should be written according to your educational establishment’s recommended style e.g., APA, Harvard, MLA, etc.
Note: Always be sure to check the assignment brief or clarify the formatting requirements with your educational instructor, as requirements can vary and the above is a general formatting guide only.
Find the writer according to your requirements
- AssignmentBro is a team of experienced writers in any field of academic research
- We thoroughly choose writers with advanced multistep selection process
- Our writers work according to the highest academic standards
Reflection Writing Topics
You may be given the chance to choose to write your reflection about any topic you wish. If that’s the case, then here’s a few topic suggestions:
- What makes you happy/anxious/angry?
- The biggest mistake you have made
- Your childhood dreams
- An argument
- This is the most challenging task you’ve ever had to complete.
- The top ten qualities that everyone should have.
- The strangest place you’ve ever visited or longed to visit.
- An event that has had a big impact on your life.
- A famous person that has inspired you
- How your beliefs have changed
- Your most meaningful relationship
- A reunion
Reflection Writing Tips!
- Be succinct: Make your paper as concise and clear as possible and avoid repetition of the same points as you don’t want to bore the reader!
- Remember tone: Even if the writing is personal, it’s useful to still maintain a professional and academic tone if it is a school or college self reflection assignment
- Cite properly: If you include in-text quotations, ensure you cite them and include a reference list according to your educational establishments required citation style. Use our APA citation maker for automatic referencing.
- Check and edit: Proofread for spelling, punctuation, and grammatical issues, but also to ensure that your essay is clear and well-organized. Ask yourself, “Have I answered my thesis clearly?” and “Are there any unnecessary words or phrases that can be deleted?”
To write a reflection on your assignment is often less challenging than you may think as there are no wrong answers and you have the opportunity to express yourself instead of the views of others. A basic essay structure is all that is normally required, coupled with the ability to delve into your own feelings and organize them into a logical order.
Your school, college, or workplace may request a research proposal assignment, such as a management or business research proposal assignment, or an academic one. It may sound complex but is...
Your school, college, or workplace may request a research proposal...
What is an Assignment and Why Do We Need it? An assignment is a set task students or employees must complete as part of their study or job role and is usually presented in written form...
What is an Assignment and Why Do We Need it? An assignment is a set...
What is a case study assignment and how to write one? Unsure of how to do a case study assignment? Read on, to help you get started! A case study assignment is based on a professional...
What is a case study assignment and how to write one? Unsure of how...