How to Conclude an Assignment to Make It the Cherry on Top
Table of Contents
- What Is a Conclusion?
- Why are conclusions written?
- How to Write a Conclusion for an Assignment
- Useful Strategies for Conclusion Writing
- Typical Words to Start a Conclusion
- A Conclusion Example for Assignment
- Now, it’s time for this article’s conclusion…
What Is a Conclusion?
A conclusion is a summary of the whole assignment. It should restate the thesis, summarize key ideas presented in the assignment, and leave the reader with a final idea about the topic in general to ponder further! It is the most logical way to end an assignment. Conclusion writing is not so difficult!
Why are conclusions written?
The purpose of a conclusion is to link the thesis statement (written in the introduction) with main ideas or points (made in the main body) and provide an overall message. A conclusion provides closure and is expected in most academic related writing, including assignments, research papers, and essays.
How to Write a Conclusion for an Assignment
To write an assignment conclusion, follow the 7 simple steps below!
- Start a conclusion paragraph by indenting the first line or leaving a blank line in between the last main body paragraph and the conclusion.
- Use a suitable starting word or phrase to indicate the assignment is drawing to a close, such as, ‘In summary’ or ‘With all this in mind’ (read on for further example starter words and phrases).
- Revisit your introduction to remind yourself of the thesis e.g.,‘The biggest contributor to global warming is animal agriculture’. Then, either paraphrase or answer the thesis e.g., ‘In summary, animal agriculture is the main cause of global warming’.
- Summarize the main point made by each paragraph in the assignment. So, if you have written 3 main body paragraphs, there should be 3 main points stated in the conclusion e.g., ‘The animal agricultural sector causes extensive GHG emissions. As the world population grows, increasingly colossal areas of rainforest are being cleared for farmed animals, to keep up the demand for meat. Furthermore, seemingly unmeasurable amounts of animal wastes are polluting vast areas of land and water, thus ruining the biodiversity that helps to keep our planet’s GHG’s balanced’.
- Ensure you do not give the reader any new information. The conclusion is not the place for this.
- To end a paragraph, give your readers a closing sentence about the overall topic and try to encourage them to think further e.g., ‘If the world’s population continues to grow at its current rate and we do not make the shift towards a plant-based diet fast enough, we may reach a point whereby the damage to the ozone layer is beyond repair’.
- Finally, end a conclusion, proof-read it! Do not skip this part! There is no point writing an amazing conclusion in assignment if readers cannot understand it or spot several spelling, punctuation, or grammatical errors!
Useful Strategies for Conclusion Writing
- Bear in mind that a conclusion paragraph is written in reverse order to the introduction. The introduction will begin with a general topic, focus on specific aspects of it, and then state a thesis. A conclusion for an assignment will be the other way around (thesis, main points, topic in general).
- Remember, you are aiming to bring the reader’s mind back to the introduction and the key information given to them.
- Encourage the reader to consider the future implications of the information you have provided them. This could be a general, wide statement about the topic or a question relating to the general topic to give the reader an alternative perspective or encourage their on-going thinking, after they have finished reading! The final sentence could be a ‘call to action’, a warning, or a future prediction.
Your assignment can be completed in 3 hours!
Has your deadline come quicker than you expected? No worries! We have what you need – a 3-hours deadline option! All features available for any other order applied, including:
- 100% original assignment
- Free formatting and reference list
- 24/7 online support
Typical Words to Start a Conclusion
It’s important for the reader to sense the assignment is ending. Here are some useful words and phrases that can help you achieve this, and transition well into the concluding paragraph of your assignment:
- Given the circumstances
- Now that one knows
- The logical conclusion appears to be
- To summarize
- Upon consideration of the facts discussed
- After the exploration of multiple professional viewpoints
- In view of this information
- In summary
- When faced with the dilemma of
- Bearing all this in mind
- It seems clear that
- Given the evidence presented
- In general
- With all aspects considered
A Conclusion Example for Assignment
When writing a conclusion for an assignment, it can be easier to see an example:
Overall, owning a pet is a huge commitment that can span many years of one’s life. A pet will require regular feeding and day-to-day care. Many pets need large amounts of human interaction, attention, and affection which can be time-consuming. Furthermore, a pet may incur great costs by means of food, medical care and pet sitting (whenever the owner wants to go on vacation without the pet). The decision of whether to welcome a pet into your home must be considered in great depth, and at length, to prevent another potentially unwanted animal ending its life in an animal shelter.
Now, it’s time for this article’s conclusion…
Ultimately, writing a concluding paragraph is simple when you refer to the introduction for the assignment, and the key points made in the main body. All the information you need is already there, but it just needs re-working to provide the reader with closure, and perhaps also get them thinking further about the points you have made!
What is an Acknowledgement in Academic Writing? Writing an acknowledgment for a college paper, research project or dissertation is an important section. It gives students an opportunity to...
What is an Acknowledgement in Academic Writing? Writing an...
❓ What is a case study assignment and how to write one? Unsure of how to do a case study assignment? Read on, to help you get started! A case study assignment is based on a professional...
❓ What is a case study assignment and how to write one? Unsure of...
Throughout their study, people should deal with numerous writing assignments. They can be of different structure, length, and requirements in general. But what is an assignment actually...
Throughout their study, people should deal with numerous writing...