150 Persuasive Essay Topics for Students
Table of Contents
- What Is a Persuasive Essay and What Does It Consist Of
- How to Select a Great Persuasive Essay Topic
- Easy and Simple
- Constitutional Issues
- Food and Drink
- Funny and Humorous
- How to Write a Great Persuasive Essay
Have you ever wondered why you are not getting bored of reading or even re-reading the classics of American literature? A great persuasive essay is more attention-grabbing because it calls for your critical thinking and analytical skills. It covers some aspects that are on the rise in society. However, we bet this art can be learned. Do you want to try?
What Is a Persuasive Essay and What Does It Consist Of
A persuasive essay or argument essay is a call for action that utilizes the arsenal of evidence and influence to make the audience think critically, reconsider the topic and adopt the writer’s opinion. Writing persuasive speeches is a necessary tool to impact public opinion and change people’s perception of certain things.
A good persuasive essay of a high academic level consists of three main parts, which are the introduction, the body, and the conclusion.
The introduction provides background information about the chosen persuasive essay topic and grabs the readers’ attention. The better you write this part, the more successful your essay will be. The introduction should end with a clear thesis statement.
The body should provide arguments to support your thesis. It should be split into several paragraphs, each focusing on a particular point. This is the part where you can do your research and present your opinion to the world. It usually takes time to prepare a good speech to impact your peers in college or school.
The conclusion is something that draws the line and makes every reader or listener think of the speech topics more, critically assessing the evidence presented by the writer before adopting his or her point of view.
How to Select a Great Persuasive Essay Topic
Writing essays of a different kind is well-established practice in our education system. However, before getting to write an essay, you need to choose a subject matter that would be interesting to the audience. Here is a quick guide to choosing the best topic for your essay.
- Do a detailed research
Before you start, think of which issues can be relevant to your community. It can relate to health, medicine, social media, animal life, money, politics, free education, etc. Try to research them as good as you can to find the one that you like most.
- Decide on the level of education of your target audience
It is critically important to address your target audience with the words they understand. Mind the level of education of your audience, be it high school, college or university students, and decide how to build your speech.
- Be specific and provide details
Much of your success depends on your ability to persuade the audience. You should choose only those arguments that can be researched well and supported by solid evidence.
- Your topic should be debatable
The more controversial is your topic, the more attention you will be able to grab. You can easily maneuver from topic to topic while discussing the issues that are relevant to the public and you can choose a listed discursive essay topic that will appropriate for your preferences. Do not choose too scientific and complex issues since your audience may not be well-versed in them.
- Use help if you need
There are plenty of online sources and websites where you can find inspiration and choose the topic you want to discuss for free. You also can find an essay writer who can help you out with writing.
- Would it be better if high school students completed community service hours to graduate?
- Do you think students should be allowed to listen to music during study hall?
- Should students have to be on the honor roll in order to play sports?
- Do you think elementary and high school students should be allowed to use cell phones at school?
- Art and music programs in public schools are an essential part of education.
- Would it be better to introduce a set of skills tests for students, before they graduate high school?
- Should free college tuition be offered to poor children?
- Teachers should have to pass a test of basic skills every decade to renew their certifications.
- Do you believe that students who are responsible for cyberbullying should be expelled from school?
- Schools should have the right to search students’ personal property (backpacks, lockers, pockets) to fight drugs in schools.
- Why we shouldn’t use disposable diapers.
- Hybrid cars are good for the environment.
- We should use algae to make oil instead of drilling.
- We should keep our community clean.
- Should only native plants be grown in gardens?
- Should the the United States limit the use of natural resources?
- Why hydraulic fracturing should be banned.
- Should there be stricter laws for protecting endangered species?
- How pollution is negatively affecting humanity.
- More people should carpool or use public transportation.
- Female genital mutilation should be stopped.
- Should assisted suicide be legal for people who suffer from terminal illnesses?
- Do you think the death penalty is the best punishment for dangerous criminals?
- Should you base your perspective of people on stereotypes you have heard?
- Are people morally obligated to help the poor?
- Is it ethical to eat meat?
- Do you think female construction workers should have the same salary as male construction workers?
- Should product testing on animals or humans be allowed?
- Wearing fur is unethical.
- Why you should not choose your child’s genetics.
Easy and Simple
- We should do more to end poverty and world hunger.
- Money can’t buy love or happiness.
- Children should be offered incentives for doing right, rather than punishment for wrongdoing.
- People should not text while driving.
- Celebrities who break the law should receive stiffer penalties.
- We should value the elders in our society and learn from their wisdom.
- Teachers should pass a basic exam every few years to renew their certification.
- Cities should offer free bike-sharing programs.
- More recycling should be encouraged.
- People should eat less junk food.
- Buy products that are made in the USA.
- Daylight savings time has many advantages for our economy.
- Should products manufactured outside the the United States come with an additional tax?
- Hiring cheaper foreign employees hurts our economy.
- The oil companies are to blame for the rising energy prices.
- Free trade agreements are bad for workers.
- In most countries the economy is in the mighty hands of just a few multinational corporations.
- The minimum wage should be increased.
- The trade deficit with China is dangerous.
- Should underaged people be allowed to consume alcohol at home, with parental permission?
- Is it appropriate for children to watch horror movies?
- Why kids should not play R rated games.
- Parental pressure on child actors and athletes is harmful.
- Should teenagers be allowed to purchase violent video games?
- Should children 13 or younger be allowed to watch music videos or music channels like MTV?
- Why parents should not hit their children.
- Do you think those older than 13 should be allowed into R-rated movies?
- Fairy tales are good for young children.
- Those under 16 should not be allowed to date.
- Men should wear pink.
- Jewelry: Less Is More.
- Fashion Reveals Your True Identity.
- Choose an Eco-Fashion Fabrics Wardrobe!
- Fashion Is An Expression Of The Character
- Are Sustainable Clothes Really Sustainable?
- Do you think it would be fair for the government to detain suspected terrorists without proper trial?
- Should flag burning as a form of protest be prohibited?
- Should every day begin with a silent prayer at school?
- Why alcohol should be illegal.
- Prayer in schools should not be mandatory.
- Purchasing a car is smarter than leasing one.
- The Chinese Yuan / Japanese Yen / European Euro will all surpass the Dollar as leading currency.
- Why banks should ban hats and sunglasses to avoid robberies.
- Phase the penny coin out.
- Severe budget cuts are the only way to maximise good financial results.
- The Euro currency will oust the dollar.
- Reservation casinos are only beneficial if managed correctly.
- Student loans should be forgiven.
- The Japanese yen is affected by the weakness of the dollar.
- Keeping a close eye on personal finance is key in achieving something in life.
- National debt is everyones problem.
- To be a business owner you must learn to be well organized.
- Advertising has tons of mind games.
- Just because someone knows you it doesn’t mean you owe them any discounts.
- The importance of understanding niche marketing.
- It’s important that a business should have personality.
- You should never go into business with family members.
- Business will harden you.
- Advertising standards should be higher.
- Why introverts make good leaders.
- Owning a business means you will lose your friends.
- Should more pets be adopted than bought from a breeder?
- Are pitbulls a vicious breed?
- Should a dog that has bitten somebody be executed?
- Should we tame wild animals like lions and sharks.
- Should battery farming still be legal?
- Should ‘factory farming’ be banned?
- Adopting pets is the best choice.
- How do puppy mills affect us?
- The benefits of having pets.
- Why cats make the perfect pet.
Food and Drink
- Farmers’ markets should be increased.
- The promise of genetically engineered food.
- The history of added sugar in our food.
- Cooking should be taught in schools.
- Do you believe companies who manufacture alcohol should be allowed to advertise on TV?
- Eating organic is good for your health.
- We should all grow our own vegetables.
- Why people should cook.
- Why peanuts are amazing.
- Get artificial hormones out of food.
- Drink more orange juice.
- Should we donate unused food from supermarkets?
- Genetically modified foods should be labeled.
- Every child should learn to cook.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Should young children use booster seats in vehicles?
- Share the road with bikes.
- Why police should not chase a car.
- Watch out for animals when driving.
- Driving tests should be free.
- Hands-free cell phone use in cars should be promoted.
- Why sports cars are dangerous.
- Should the driving age be 14?
- Drivers should have to take three courses before getting a license.
- Should the public first learn how to drive a manual transmission before obtaining their license?
- The danger of texting and driving.
- Why you should buy a Japanese car.
- Diamonds are a girls best friends.
- Music has the power to heal.
- Couples need to live together before getting married.
- We all need to be childish.
- Parents must be prepared for the ‘birds and bees’ talk.
- Allow kids to believe in Santa.
- Pick up lines do work.
- Smokers have more acquaintances.
- Ghosts are not real.
- Cake is not cake if it is dry.
- African- American achievements should be celebrated.
- Why Lincoln was the best President.
- Did the American Army provide their soldiers drugs during the Vietnam war?
- The moon landing was a lie.
- Revisionist history is dangerous.
Funny and Humorous
- You should not be Facebook friends with your mom.
- Why funny pick-up lines work.
- Millennials should stop wearing spandex yoga pants all the time.
- Shoes that don’t fit right are hazardous to your health.
- Argumentative essays are pointless.
- If things go wrong, your horoscope is to blame.
- Blondes are not as dumb as they look.
- Dads are more fun than moms.
- Students should not have to do a persuasive speech in front of a large audience.
How to Write a Great Persuasive Essay
- Understand the Assignment
Before you can start writing, you need to understand what is being asked of you. This means not only understanding the topic but also the format and the guidelines provided by your teacher or professor.
- Choose Your Topic
If the topic isn’t provided, it’s up to you to choose something you’re passionate about and that you believe you can convincingly argue about. Remember, a good persuasive essay requires a strong stance on the issue, but also a deep understanding of both sides of the argument.
- Know Your Audience
Understanding who you are writing to is critical in persuasive writing. Knowing your audience’s viewpoints on your topic can help you decide what arguments will be most effective, what kind of evidence to use, and in what tone to write.
- Research Thoroughly
Regardless of how much you already know about the topic, thorough research is crucial to fortify your position. Find credible sources that offer different perspectives on the topic, this will not only help you make a better argument but also prepare you for possible counterarguments.
- Formulate Your Thesis
Your thesis is the main point of your essay. It is the argument you’ll strive to defend throughout your essay. Ensure that it is clear, concise, and can be backed up by the evidence you’ve gathered.
- Develop Your Essay Outline
The outline should organize your thoughts and arguments in a coherent way. Typically, an essay starts with an introduction (including the thesis statement), followed by the body paragraphs (each presenting a separate argument supporting your thesis), and ends with a conclusion (rephrasing your thesis and summarizing your arguments).
- Write the Essay
Start drafting your essay based on the outline. Start each paragraph with a topic sentence, followed by evidence to support it, and end each paragraph with a concluding sentence that reinforces your argument.
- Employ Persuasive Techniques
Using persuasive language and rhetorical devices can make your essay more convincing. Techniques include repetition, parallel structure, rhetorical questions, and the careful use of ethos, pathos, and logos appeals.
- Conclude Your Essay
Your conclusion should summarize your main points and reiterate your thesis statement, ideally in a way that offers a new insight. This part of your essay is your final chance to persuade your reader to your point of view, so make it count.
- Revise and Edit
Always take time to revise and edit your essay. Look for any awkward sentences, unclear arguments, grammar mistakes, and punctuation errors. Additionally, ensure your argument remains clear and your evidence supports your thesis throughout the essay.
By following these steps, your persuasive essay will not only be clear and organized, but it will also be engaging and convincing to your reader.
International Business has become a significant part of today’s world. It is a field where people can earn a good amount of money. It also provides employment to many people and thus...
International Business has become a significant part of today’s...
Canada is a land with a history that involves numerous interesting events that are worth exploring. Starting with the first gatherings of the First Nations People to Candian history...
Canada is a land with a history that involves numerous interesting...
A medical paper is a scientific document that reports the findings of a medical research study. The paper describes the purpose of the study, the methods used, the results, and the...
A medical paper is a scientific document that reports the findings of...