75+ Tech Tools for Teachers and Students
Table of Contents
- Post Navigation
- Random and Cool
- Tools for Teachers
- Tools for Students
- Integrate Mobile Devices
- Online Learning & eLearning
- Social Learning
- Test Prep
- Games that Teach
- Miscellaneous / Other
This post is our Top series which explores the best startups, gadgets, apps, websites and services in a given category. Total items listed: 79. Time to compile: 8+ hours.
So here’s what I’ve got for all you educators our there: some random and cool tools, tech tools for teachers and students, ways to integrate mobile devices into the classroom, social learning tools, elearning and online learning resources and finally some test prep, textbook, educational gaming and a few other random resources. What you won’t find here are any lame attempts to pawn off something that’s not an education-specific tech tool as something marvelous and new like I’ve seen on a few other blogs (like Gmail or Skype–definitely useful, but come on, not education specific). The scope of this list covers everything from Kindergarten-age up through college-age so there’s hopefully something for everyone here.
Actually, this post has been a long time coming. While I’m not a teacher (no where close) I am part of a committee called TDEC which stands for the Technology and Distance Education Committee, a part of the nonprofit organization I work for, and have been involved with a distance education (via telepresence) initiative within that same organization. Not to mention my wife’s parents are both teachers, so education is something I run into a lot in my world.
I know there are tons of education technology resources out there so if I missed something good, maybe a favorite of yours or something that cropped up after I created this list, leave me a comment to let me know so I can get it added.
Random and Cool
- Engrade – Unify administrators, teachers, parents and students.
- Noodle – Education search just got smart.
- Dreambox Learning – Rigorous math curriculum. Intelligent adaptive learning.
- LessonCast – Design experiences that engage teachers and improve student learning.
- Sphero – Opensource library of electronic modules for prototyping and play.
- Edutopia – K-12 education and learning innovation site.
- Education Elements – A leading developer of blended learning solutions.
- Goalbook – Helps teams of educators, students, and parents collaborate.
- Knewton – Helps schools provide personalized educational content to students.
Tools for Teachers
- Chalk – Lesson planning made easy.
- Schoology – Manage lessons, engage students, share content and more.
- BetterLesson – Share what works. Free K-12 lesson plans, materials and resources.
- ShowMe – Learn and teach anything. An online learning community.
- ClassDojo – Improve student engagement and behavior.
- symbalooEDU – Organize and share the best of the web with your students (PLE).
- Coursekit – Simple, elegant and free course management tools.
- Glogster – 21st century multimedia tool for educators, teachers and students.
- Remind101 – Text messaging for teachers.
- Teachers Pay Teachers – Teachers buy, sell and share original teaching resources.
- iversity – The collaboration network for academia.
- Enabley – Digital teaching platform.
- Power School – Learning management system. A simple way to bring the web to your classroom.
- Spriteville – An app with tools that enhances school communication.
- Certification Map – Become a teacher. Teacher certification made easy.
- GlobalScholar – SIS, curriculum management, gradebook, homework help, online tutoring.
Tools for Students
- Brainly – Get live help, social studying, help other students.
- Grantoo – Students PLAY their tuition bills.
- Brightstorm – Free homework help and affordable test prep.
- Slader – Homework help and answers.
- Spill – A nationwide support network made of and for college students.
- Abroad101 – Study abroad reviews and programs.
- Desmos – A beautiful and free online graphing calculator.
- Boundless – Save money. Study faster. Ace the class. 100% free. Still in beta.
- Brilliant – The college financial aid common application.
- Docsity – Free test bank, professor ratings, lecture notes and more.
Integrate Mobile Devices
- Apple iPad – Learn how the iPad makes the perfect learning companion.
- Top Hat – A web-based clicker and online homework tool.
- Socrative – Engage the class using any device (iOS, tablets, computers, etc.).
- Brainscape – Efficient mobile learning based on brain science.
- Highlighter – Students can highlight, comment, share and save anything they read.
- eSpark – Helps innovative schools use iPads to raise student achievement.
Online Learning & eLearning
- StudySync – Online learning that inspires higher levels of reading, writing and critical thinking.
- Skillshare – Learn anything from anyone, anywhere.
- ePals – Helps you connect with classrooms around the world.
- Udacity – Free online university classes for everyone.
- Coursera – Offers courses from top universities for free.
- Udemy – Online courses from experts.
- eLearning Brothers – Develop rapid elearning courses and games.
- TED-Ed – Lessons worth sharing. Capturing and amplifying the voices of great teachers.
- Khan Academy – Learn almost anything for free.
- General Assembly – A campus for technology, design and entrepreneurship.
- The Concord Consortium – Realizing the promise of educational technology.
- K12 – Online public and private schools + individual courses for sale.
- Memrise – The fun way to learn anything online.
- Mindflash – Easy online training.
- Duolingo – Learn a language for free.
- WizIQ – Online e-learning resources.
- Myngle – Online language education with private teachers.
- Mingoville – English for kids. Approved by teachers.
- Edmodo – Secure social learning network for teachers and students.
- Targetx – Facebook for college admissions, universities and higher education.
- Sophia – Teach what you know. Learn what you don’t.
- Spongelab – A global science community.
- BenchPrep – Web, iPhone/iPad, Android test prep courses. GRE, LSAT, MCAT and GMAT.
- Magoosh – A personal tutor. Anytime, anywhere. GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, SAT.
- WatermelonExpress – Learning, accelerated. SAT, GMAT, GRE, LSAT, and MCAT.
- PrepU – An adaptive quizzing engine built by teachers and tested in the classroom.
- Inkling – Interactive textbooks for iPad.
- Chegg – Rent and buy textbooks.
- Amazon– An iPhone app for buying and selling textbooks.
Games that Teach
- Curriculumassociates – Creates fun mobile learning games that let kids play with numbers.
- The Education Arcade – Explores games that promote learning.
Miscellaneous / Other
- EdSurge – A newsletter that keeps you ahead of the curve.
- Teach.com – Info about becoming a teacher. Who, what, when, where, why and how.
- Launchpad Toys – Empowering kids to create, learn and share their ideas through play.
- Do-Be – Inspire creative teaching.
- Amplify – Education data systems, adaptive curriculum and more.
- Vittana – Microloans for education.
- The Minerva Project – The online Ivy school.
Why Do Scholarships Matter for International Students? One of the primary reasons why scholarships make a major difference in the UK is the cost of academic courses that usually do not come...
Why Do Scholarships Matter for International Students? One of the...
Going to college is going to be one of the most exciting times of your life. What’s even better is that soon you’re going to be getting your very own place! You’ll be able to do...
Going to college is going to be one of the most exciting times of...
List of College Scholarships and Financial Aid for Students With Disabilities Getting an education is a complex task for all students, especially for those who are disabled. Such students...
List of College Scholarships and Financial Aid for Students With...